The Dravidian Students’ Federation (DSF) held a State Level Discussion Meet on 1st May 2022 at Periyar Thidal, Chennai. Following discussion on vital issues, 16 Resolutions were unanimously passed and adopted, as follows:
Striving to achieve the objectives of the Massive Tour
1. For 21 days our respectful Asiriyar Dr. K. Veeramani toured far and wide in several districts of Tamil Nadu, covering long distance and enduring intense scorching summer heat, propagating his protest against NEET, National Education Policy (NEP 2020) and the usurpation of the rights of the State. He has deeply sowed the seeds of protest in the minds of the people, cautioned the Union government and caused an uprise. On behalf of the Dravidian Students’ Federation, we convey our hearty thanks to him and hereby resolve to strive for the achievement of his objectives by obeying every command of his.
2. Resolved to conduct ‘Periyar-1000’ Questions and Answers competition during the next academic year in all the schools in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. The purpose is to make Periyar thought reach all the young school students on a large scale and help them understand and adhere to Periyar’s policies of rationalism and self respect. It is resolved to motivate several lakhs of school students participate in this contest.
Extending Support to State Education Policy
3. Resolved to continue our protest against the National Education Policy and extend support to the State Education Policy which is under proposal. DSF would urge upon the Government of Tamil Nadu to be firm in its resistance to harmful policies and infiltration of religious fanatic forces into the academic world. We shall strive to spread the spirit of social justice, gender equality, and scientific spirit among young students.
Exempting TN from NEET
4. DSF strongly condemns the delay on the part of the Governor of Tamil Nadu in forwarding the NEET related Bill to the President. It is resolved to urge upon the Union government to take necessary steps for exempting Tamil Nadu from the unwarranted NEET.
Commending the State Bill to appoint Vice Chancellor
5. Vice-Chancellors of State Universities are being appointed by Governors which is against federal structure and democracy. It is resolved to commend the Government of Tamil Nadu for passing a Bill, asserting the right to the State Government itself to appoint vice-chancellors in the State universities. The Federation conveys its thanks to the Chief Minister M.K. Stalin for the admirable decision.
Protest against CUET
6. Resolved to protest against the needless thrust of Common University Entrance Test (CUET) on the students by the Union government. Responding to the appeal of Asiriyar Dr. K. Veeramani DSF resolves to fight against this harmful hurdle.
Urging the State government on Education front
7. Resolved to urge upon the Union government and the Government of Tamil Nadu to implement the following by necessary action:
i) Studies of Medical College students affected by Ukraine war, to continue in India by appropriate steps of the Union government.
ii) The Government of Tamil Nadu to raise the internship amount for Veterinary University students to Rs.25000/-, on a par with other medical students.
iii) The Government of Tamil Nadu may avoid introducing separate timing and class room system for male and female students, since it would lead to gender bias, inequality and other academic problems.
iv) The Government of Tamil Nadu to fix the fees of Raja Muthiah Medical College students at Chidambaram on a par with the fees fixed for the students of other Medical Colleges, in order to help them continue their studies without any difficulty.
Enrolment of Membership
8. Resolved to increase the strength of students in DSF by enrolment of new school and college students in large numbers by conducting frequent meetings and chalking out suitable measures.
60 Glorious Years of ‘Viduthalai’
9. Resolved to collect 60000 (sixty thousand) subscriptions for ‘Viduthalai’ in order to strengthen the arms of Asiriyar Dr. K. Veeramani who has scripted history by churning it out as its Editor for 60 glorious years. This would be a token of gratitude to him and a sign of felicitating his unparalleled achievement.
Promoting magazines of the Movement
10. Resolved to promote the circulation of the DK movements’ daily ‘Viduthalai’ and magazines ‘Unmai’, ‘Periyar Pinju’. ‘The Modern Rationalist’, ‘Dravida Pozhil’ and the e-journal ‘Dravida Natru’ and enhance the readership among the people, especially among young students.
Activism in Social Media
11. Resolved to spread through the students in the federation, Periyar-Thought, his policies and the activities of DK movement using social media websites. Objectionable matters, if any, are also to be highlighted through statements of denial.
Participation of DSF’s Members in all Competitions
12. Resolved to urge upon the students of the Federation to participate without fail in all the oratorical and essay competitions conducted by schools and colleges.
Commending the action against, ‘Charak Shapath’
13. Resolved to thank and commend the Government of Tamil Nadu for action against ‘Charak Shapath’ oath proposed for medical college students. The Federation appreciates the action taken by the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu in the Madurai Medical College issue in this regard.
Establishing Cordial relationship between students and teachers
14. Resolved to urge upon all the academicians, scholars, social activists and teaching faculty to offer counseling to students who are mentally stressed and disturbed by the recent Covid-19 pandemic crisis. They are to be closely monitored and cautioned to stay away from harmful drugs, by seeking the assistance of the police personnel. Attention should be paid on establishing a healthy relationship between students and teaching staff.
Protecting from religious fanatics
15. Resolved to protect students from the malicious strategies of religious fanatics who are bent upon contaminating youngsters in several ways. Steps are to be taken to make youngsters noble citizens in all respects.
Protest against Encroachment by temples
16. Resolved to protest vigorously against erecting temples and installing idols in public places as well as private property. Encroachments of all kinds are to be prevented.